Thursday, February 24, 2011

BUS 3500 February 17

The chapter on market research opened my eyes to the methods that organizations use to garner data and insight on product preferences from consumers. I can see the value in these methods although they are often annoying to me as a consumer. Mall surveys especially are irritating when you're being accosted by eager pollsters while in the mall for a purpose other than being someone's research project. The point of sale data collection also gives me a twinge when I consider that Big Brother is tracking my purchasing preferences, and using them perhaps to send me more propaganda (aka advertising) that I did not request. But if I look at it as a benefit, the targeted methods of offering me products that have the propensity to appeal to me does have value to me - if there is a product type or class that I am prone to purchase, then offerings of those products that fit my criteria are possibly a service to me - a convenience, and a benefit. In the meetings and convention industry, I am eager to participate in surveys because I want my voice to be heard, I want changes to be put into play that will make my job and my industry better. I actively participate in these surveys and look forward to seeing the results published. Sometimes there is an incentive, but most often the incentive is in the betterment of the industry, my livelihood. I did appreciate the tips on creating survey questions and data collection. I will use those immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment