Sunday, February 6, 2011

Bus 3500 February 3

This week's class went fast - and I can see the importance of understanding consumer behavior, thinking about their decision-making processes. A lot of this subject matter made so much sense to me but I had never really considered it before. The concept of the evoked set, for example, and the criteria that differentiates between a limited decision vs an extensive decision. A really interesting aspect to me was the concept of cognitive dissonance, and what can be done to prevent that from reversing a buy decision. Lots of high end examples were given, such as automobile purchases - but what really came to mind for me was the Snuggi that my family felt compelled to buy for me at Christmas. All the ads said it was the perfect gift, and it was a quick, easy decision for them in choosing a gift for me, apparently - but my perception of it, its questionable usefulness (or lack thereof) and it not fitting with my lifestyle (am I really a Snuggi person??), proved to be a case of buyers remorse - or was it recipient remorse - what in the world were they thinking? A blanket with sleeves?? The ads may have matched the lifestyle and needs of somebody's mother, but not their mother - not me - I would never wear such a thing, the whole idea was ludicrous and a little humiliating. I folded it back up and put it back in its box. But... a day or so later - checking out the box to see where I could take it to return it, considering just donating it if nothing else - I could not help but see the graphics on the package - and I read through it. There were ideas and benefits, photos of features, color photos and descriptions printed on the side of the box - I pulled the thing back out of its box and actually tried it out for an evening - I found that it has some redeeming qualities and have to admit that it serves a need  - was quite cozy and I did not feel conspicuous or lame as I had expected to. I had no idea the thing had convenient pockets for your hands or your tv remote or cell phone - the box description told me so, and so did my "test drive" of it. So, I decided to keep it. Good marketing decision for those guys - countering cognitive dissonance with their packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment