Saturday, January 29, 2011

BUS 3500 January 27

I really enjoyed Chapter 3 – breaking down the categories of Gen X vs Gen Y, tweens and Baby Boomers, really did shed a lot of light on behaviors and focus of those groups. I was probably most surprised though by the emphasis on the power of women in the marketplace. Women heads of household, women with discretionary spendable income, being primary decision makers in the purchase of a wide range of products… I had not realized it was that powerful of a group. I don’t think marketers really give the group as much weight or respect as they should, in that case. The differentiation between morals and ethics was also helpful to clarify – Dr. Jay Black in my mass media ethics class says an easy way to think of it is that Ethics are from the neck up and Morals are from the neck down. Finally, the Method campaign, and overall corporate message – was so impressive – corporate social responsibility without losing the aspect of economic responsibility. As in the definition of exchange, people are willing to pay a little more for something they perceive to be of higher value to them… including the effect a product has on the environment… value to them personally in their homes and also to the generations of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment